Friday, January 30, 2009

The unusual suspects

Ah, yes – and now, by popular demand . . .

I’ve been asked to make a list of sci-fi novels that aren’t on the usual lists. You know the usual lists – the 20 best sci-fi novels of all time, etc., etc. Usually headed by Dune or the Foundation series.

(I have nothing against either of those books, by the way. Dune is great, and the Foundation series – although it reads a little dated, to me – is obviously one of the classics.)

But we need another list, a list of the less obvious suspects. I was originally challenged to come up with twenty. Twenty turns out to be beyond me, a least for the moment. Let’s start with five:

The Last Planet, by Andre Norton. This was originally titled Star Rangers. It was one of the very first sci-fi novels that I read, and I can still feel the sense of wonder. It’s oriented towards younger readers, I suppose. I don’t care. Ideas/themes: telepathy and mental powers, aliens, post-technological civilizations, return to a lost Earth.

This isn’t the novel that started me on sci-fi, but it’s probably the novel that got me permanently hooked.

The Uplift War, by David Brin. OK, this one is better known, and more recent, and might even have ended up on a list or two. The best, most complex, most entertaining talking-animals story ever. Ideas/themes: Evolution of species to sentience, aliens, star wars, information technology.

Brin has a knack – and as a writer, let me tell you, it’s a definite talent – for names. Fiben. The Gubru. And my favorite: Uthacalthing.

Captives of the Flame, by Samuel R. Delany. This is another older book (first published in 1963), and introduced me – as a very young reader – to sci-fi novels as prose. Strange, beautiful, and a little sad. Themes – OK, this one I’m going to have to re-read first. But I do remember one thing; a corrupt government starts a war against something they don’t understand, and when there is really no need for a fight.

The Female Man, by Joanna Russ. Full-on, in your face, sci-fi meets 70s feminism. Need I say more? Over the top but highly entertaining. Yes, it’s dated, but who cares?

Planet of the Apes, by Pierre Boulle. I have a distinct memory of reading this book. I am something like 12 years old. It is the middle of the night and I cannot stop reading until I’ve finished it. At the end, astonished, I burst into tears.

And no, the final scene – in the book – has nothing to do with the Statue of Liberty.

I’ll keep thinking about this, and add to my list. I’m already thinking of two that I missed – Timescape, by Gregory Benford; and Stargate, by Stephen Robinett. Stay tuned!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well now I'll have to read Planet of the Apes to see what the ending in the book was . . .

Anonymous said...

Hey have you seen this
http://www.chroniclebooks.com/index/main,book-info/store,books/products_id,7847/title,Pride-and-Prejudice-and-Zombies/

Evyenia said...

OK, now that sounds hilarious - and very weird . . .

One flew over the Alphane moon

Clans of the Alphane Moon is a very Dickian novel; someone who knows his work could read a paragraph or two from anywhere in the book and i...